BEA Book Awards
Book Award Winners
2021 Book Award: Caty Borum Chattoo (American University in Washington, D.C) Story Movements: How Documentaries Empower People and Inspire Social Change (Oxford University Press, 2020)
2021 Textbook Award: Andrew C. Billings and Scott Parrott (University of Alabama) Media Stereotypes: From Ageism to Xenophobia (Peter Lang, 2020)
BEA invites nominations for the 2022 BEA Book & Textbook Awards
Submissions due: January 15, 2022 These awards recognize an outstanding book and textbook published in 2020 or 2021 (January 1, 2020 to December 31, 2021) in the field of broadcasting and mass communication. BEA members (as of January 15, 2022), may self-nominate any first-edition scholarly work in one of two categories:
1) monograph/edited collection, or
2) textbook that is relevant to broadcasting and mass communication.
Nominees should provide the following information by January 15, 2022:
The submission process is online this year. Please visit the submission site to send in your materials.
- A nomination letter that includes the book’s title, author(s) or editor(s), copyright date, publisher, ISBN, category to be judged in (book or textbook) and an explanation of the book’s contribution to the field of broadcasting and mass communication
- Author’s mailing address, telephone number, and email address
- A statement that the author will attend the 2022 BEA Conference in Las Vegas if their book is selected as one of the winners. Winners will be presented their award at the 2022 BEA Awards Ceremony. The winner will receive a complimentary convention registration.
- You can either include a pdf copy of your book along with the online submission, or you can mail four copies of the book being nominated for the award. Entries that are not in print by Dec. 31 will be disqualified. NOTE: If you are submitting an electronic version of your published book, we do not accept pre-print or editor copies.
Send nomination materials to:
Dr. Michael Bruce
The University of Alabama
901 University Blvd.
Phifer Hall 490
Tuscaloosa, AL 35401