Student Team Application
Deadline: February 8, 2016
Get to chance to bring national recognition and pride to your school by becoming involved in 2016 NAB Show. With over 103,000 attendees NAB Show is the ultimate marketplace for digital media and entertainment. From content creation to management to consumption, NAB Show is home to the solutions that transcend traditional broadcasting and embrace content delivery to new platforms in new ways. www.nabshow.com
The Challenge Awaits:
War on the Floor is a student video competition taking place during NAB Show in Las Vegas April 18-21, 2016. War on the Floor will task three teams of students to tell the content lifecycle story – from content creation to consumption – by developing and producing a series of videos that will be used as part of a social media campaign during the show and for a final content lifecycle video to be judged by a panel of educators and industry professionals.
First Selected Team
Tyler Parks, Kennith Moreno, & Ricky Kerr | Fort Hays State University
Team Application Process:
1. ONE entry form & ONE audition video per team: Each team (of three students) must submit one complete entry form and one audition video. All three students must be listed on the form and participate in the video entry. The video should be no longer that 90 seconds.
- Faculty Advisor: Each entry must have a faculty advisor. The name and contact information for the advisor must be listed on the entry form. Each team advisor should be prepared to participate onsite to assist and help guide teams during the competition.
Note: If the entry form incomplete or missing a faculty advisor or an audition video, the entry will be disqualified.
- Predominate Authorship and Originality: The War on the Floor video competition invites audition videos of original creative works, in which the entrants present a submission that demonstrates a team entry for the NAB Show War on the Floor event. Teams should consist of students who can shoot, edit, produce and report on-site – and this should be depicted in their audition video
- Deadline: Complete applications must be received by Monday, February 1, 2016.
- Eligibility: The competition is open to all full-time graduate and undergraduate students 18 years of age or older who are enrolled at either at a BEA member university, college or community/technical college. Entrants must certify that the entry was completed while enrolled full-time as a student at a university, college or community/technical college.
- Legal Permissions: The entrant agrees to clear all licenses, copyrights, and permissions to ensure that the submission can legally and ethically be presented at the 2016 NAB Show and online at the www.nabshow.com website. If an entity other than the entrant owns the rights to all or part of the submitted application video, the entrant must attach written consent from the owner or an authorized representative of the owner to the entry form.
- Language: Works must be in English or have English subtitles.
Submission Deadline & Notification:
Applications and video entries must be submitted no later than February 1, 2016. Entrants will be notified of the results by February 15, 2016.
Application & Judging Process:
- Evaluation Criteria: Entries are evaluated according to the following criteria: 1) character; 2) the use of aesthetic and/or creative elements; 3) sense of structure and timing; 4) production values; 5) technical merit; and 6) the overall contribution to the discipline in both form and substance.
- Judging: Applications will be judged by a panel comprised of media educators and/or industry professionals. Judges will not be assigned to review an entry where there is an obvious conflict of interest or in cases where the judge is institutionally affiliated with an entrant. Decisions of judges will be final.
- War on the Floor Teams: The competition chair will review results and determine the final three (3) teams chosen for the 2016 NAB Show War on the Floor. Teams will be named: Blue, White & Grey.
The Semi-finalists Invitation:
The three (3) semi-finalist teams will invited to the 2016 NAB Show in Las Vegas to participate in the War on the Floor video competition. Each team will receive complimentary convention registrations, travel stipends and 2-3 hotel rooms for their stay in Las Vegas.
War on the Floor Video Competition @ NAB Show:
The Blue, White & Grey Teams will be asked to perform the following tasks:
- Develop and launch a social media component during the convention. This can include behind-the-scenes footage or information about the convention and/or their projects. Monday, April 18 – Thursday, April 21, 2016.
- Create a 1-2 minute promotional piece/commercial on exhibitor/product of your choice. The piece will be shown on Wednesday, April 18 or Thursday, April 19.
- Produce a long form (15-20 minute) NAB Show experience compilation video. The video should tell the content lifecycle story from the eyes of each student team, and include interviews with speakers and exhibitors and footage from NAB Show that depicts each stage of the lifecycle. The long form video is not due until May 31, 2016.
The Winning War on the Floor Team:
One team will be awarded 1st place based on clever and unique social media use, in addition to producing high levels of social engagement. Both videos will be reviewed by faculty and industry representatives and judged on professional and creative production qualities.
Awards & Prizes:
The winning team’s long form piece will teased and promoted on NAB Show’s Facebook and Twitter accounts to our community of 50K+. Post to include names of team, faculty advisor, and school. It’s a wonderful opportunity to share with your friends your award winning portfolio!
All winning team members and their faculty advisor will receive a complimentary SMART PASS registration to the 2017 NAB Show including all Nine Conference, Workshops, Super Sessions, and Show Floor (valued at $1,499).
So, what are you waiting for? Get your team together and submit your application to Win the War. Click here to enter.