online If you .The Broadcast Education Association (BEA) invites scholarly media related research from academics, students and professionals for presentation during BEA2021. BEA is the premiere international academic media organization driving insights, excellence in media production and career advancement for educators, students and professionals. BEA’s annual convention produces over 250 sessions on practice, theory and research, collaborative networking events and hands-on training workshops. It is co-located with NAB Show each April in Las Vegas. In April 2021 BEA will produce a hybrid convention with both virtual and physical participation opportunities for presenters and attendees.
THE PAPER SUBMISSION DEADLINE WAS EXTENDED TO TUESDAY, DECEMBER 15th.
The BEA2021 Convention Spotlight is….. Facing the Future — This year’s convention spotlight begins a three-year exploration of a theme, including Facing the Future (2021), Embracing the Future (2022), and Retracing the Future (2023). These spotlight topics can engage recursively with each other, invoking the past, present, and future. Facing the Future in BEA 2021 acknowledges the ever-increasing pace of change in the media industry. It also acknowledges the societal upheavals brought about by the combination of the coronavirus pandemic and increased awareness of social injustice. Before we turn our (hopefully optimistic) gaze next year to Embracing the Future, we must first assess where we are now, how we got here, and where our threats and opportunities lie. We must begin by Facing the Future.
Facing the Future serves as the BEA2021 spotlight, but papers are not limited to this area of research. Papers should be submitted to the division that best fits that division’s goals and objectives. Each division selects up to four papers for BEA2021 presentation and additional papers may be selected for the Scholar-to-Scholar digital research (poster) session. If you are interested in
Membership & Convention Attendance — To enter a paper competition, you do NOT need to be a current member, but at least one (1) author of an accepted competitive paper MUST attend the BEA2021 convention to present. Winners will be notified by late January 2021. If you have questions regarding the submission process, please email the appropriate Interest Division paper chair.
Diversity & Inclusion Awards — The BEA D&I committee seeks to promote research and creative work that addresses issues of diversity and inclusion in areas of race, ethnicity, gender, disability, country of origin, political affiliation, veteran status, field of research, socioeconomic status, religion, age, marital status, sexual orientation, or gender identity. If you would like your paper to be considered for a Diversity & Inclusion Award, please check the appropriate box on the online submission form. For additional information, click here.
BEA Members can submit papers to BEA’s BEA2021 All Academic site with their BEA membership login and password. If you know your BEA login information login to your All Academic account. If you forgot your BEA membership password, click here to reset.
If you ARE NOT a BEA member, create an All Academic account by clicking here.
Categories & Competitions – Submit your research to the relevant BEA interest division as a “Debut” or an “Open” paper. “Debut” is open only to those who have never presented a paper at a BEA convention, and “Open” if you have previously presented a paper at BEA. To help defray costs, 1st and 2nd place “Debut” winners receive $200 and $100 respectively. Regardless of the number of authors, BEA will award one check to the individual who submitted the paper.
Paper Submission Process — Once you login with your BEA login and password, follow the steps below:
- Submit a paper… Click on the link for “Submit or Edit a Paper or Program Proposal.”
2. Select an Interest Division… Read the division descriptions and select the division to which you will submit your research. Papers may NOT be submitted to more than one division in the same year.
3. Submit the title & abstract… Follow the guidelines to add a title and abstract
4. Adding co-authors… At the prompt, add any co-authors to the paper. Note: If your co-author(s) aren’t BEA members, have them create All Academic accounts first so you can easily search and link them to the paper.
5. Review & Upload… Review your information and upload your paper.
– Blind Review... Do NOT include a cover page with author and contact information and remove ALL author information from internal pages. Judges need to blindly review your papers. Papers are linked to your profile on the backend.
– Editing Abilities… You can edit and/or re-submit papers up until the deadline.
– Length & Style… The paper is not to exceed 30 double-spaced pages, including references & tables, and use of APA style or a style suited to the discipline is expected.
Questions? Email Help@BEAweb.org.