Showcasing the best Student and Faculty work annually for over 12 years. Check out our options and features included.
BEA's Faculty and Student Audio Competitions of the Festival of Media Arts provide an opportunity for full time faculty and students at colleges and universities to showcase their audio production skills for Radio and/or websites from the past year. Entry submissions will be accepted from November 15 – December 15.
- Radio Documentary
- Radio Station Promo, PSA, Commercial
- Short-Form Production
- Long-Form Production
- Air Personality
- Comedy or Drama
- Educational Program
- PSA, Promo, or Commercial
- Specialty Program
The Festival of Media Arts Documentary Competition showcases both long-form and short-form documentaries produced by faculty and students. Entries to this competition will be reviewed by peers and professionals and winners will be showcased at BEA's annual convention in Las Vegas. Entry submissions will be accepted from November 15 – December 15.
Student Documentary Categories:
- Short Form Video or Film Documentary (under 20:00)
- Long Form Video or Film Documentary (20:00 and longer)
- Short Form Video or Film Documentary (under 40:00)
- Long Form Video or Film Documentary (40:00 and longer)
Faculty Documentary Categories:
BEA's News Competition awards outstanding work to produced television and radio news reporting. All aculty entries are peer reviewed and student entries are reviewed by industry professionals. Entry submissions will be accepted from November 15 – December 15.
Student News Categories:
- Radio Feature Reporting
- Radio Hard News Reporting
- Radio Newscast
- Television Feature Reporting
- Television Hard News Reporting
- Television News Anchor
- Television Newscast (airing 3 days per week or less)
- Television Newscast (airing 4 or 5 days per week)
- Television Weathercaster
- Television: Hard News Reporting
- Television: Feature News Reporting
- Radio: Hard News Reporting
- Radio: Feature News Reporting
Faculty News Categories:
Interactive Multimedia Competition
The BEA Interactive Multimedia's Festival of Media Arts Competition showcases interactive and cutting-edge creative projects from the past year. Faculty and students are invited to participate and entries are reviewed by both peers and professionals. Visit www.beaweb.org for complete information, entry requirements and specifics regarding the Interactive Multimedia Competition. Projects are accepted from November 15 – December 15 in the following categories.
- FM3 - Entertainment & Emerging Technologies
- FM4 - Solo
- FM5 - Mixed
- Solo (Any type of interactive project completed entirely by one individual without the support of other production personnel )
- Small Team (Any type of interactive project completed by a team of 2-3 people )
- Large Team (Any type of interactive project completed by a team of 4 or more people)
Script Writing Competition
The BEA Festival of Media Arts Scriptwriting Competition gives faculty and student scriptwriters the chance to have their work reviewed and recognized by professionals and peers. In addition to recognition at an awards ceremony at the BEA Convention in Las Vegas in April, winners also have the opportunity to participate in a professional pitch session.
- Short Subject/TV Half-Hour scripts (check website for a variety of page requirements)
- Feature-length/TV Hour scripts (check website for a variety of page requirements)
- Episodic Short (3-8 minute scripts)
- Short Subject scripts (15 to 35 pages)
- Feature-length scripts (90 to 120 pages)
- Original television series pilots (half-hour or hour-long pilot episode)
- Television spec scripts (half-hour or hour-long episode of an existing program)
- Mobisode/Webisode (5 –15 pages)
Each year the Sports Division of BEA spotlights the best work of student and faculty sports journalists from across the country. Radio and television anchors, reporters and producers showcase their creativity in this highly competitive competition.
- Short Form Sports Video Feature (30 seconds-10 minutes)
- Long Form Sports Video Feature (11 minutes-30 minutes)
- Sports Radio Feature
- Radio Sports Story / Feature / News (Weighted toward Anchor / Host performance)
- Radio/TV Sports Event, Play-by-Play Talent
- TV Sports Story / Feature / Show Element/Segment or News Program
- TV Sports Talent (Anchor / Host)
- TV Sports Event Production
2-Year / Small College Competition
BEA's Festival of Media Arts Two-Year/Small Colleges Competition accepts entries from students attending community colleges or small colleges that offer broadcast related majors - such as broadcasting, video production, mass media and communications.
BEA's Festival of Media Arts Faculty and Student Video Competitions provide an opportunity for full time faculty and students at colleges and universities to showcase their video production work from the past year in a wide range of categories.
- Commercial or PSA Video
- Educational or Instructional Video
- Mixed Video (Teacher/Student Co-Production)
- Narrative Video
- Promotional Video
- Music Video
- Narrative Video