Deadline Extended: Monday, September 18, 2017 (11:59 pm EDT)
BEA invites panel and program proposals from academics, students and professionals for presentation at BEA2018 in Las Vegas.
Submit Panels & Program Submissions Online
BEA Members can upload papers to the BEA2018 All Academic site with their BEA membership login and password. If you know you BEA login information login to your All Academic account. If you forgot your BEA membership password, please click here to reset. If you ARE NOT a member, please click here to create an account.
· Submit a program proposal: Click on the link for “Submit or a Paper or Program Proposal.”
· Select a Division: Read the division descriptions and select the primary division to which you will submit your program. Programs can have up to one (1) interest division co-sponsor.
· Title/Abstract/Program Information: Follow the guidelines to submit the title & abstract/session description and additional program information.
· Review your information & submit: Don’t forget to review your information. If accepted, this is how it will appear in the program. Please use proper title case for session names and spell check (PLEASE)!!!
· Editing Abilities: You can edit and or re-submit the description and panelists until the system closes at 3:00 a.m. on September 16th.
NOTE: NEW for BEA2018, all panels and paper sessions will be 1 hour in length. Previously they were 1 hour and 15 minutes. Please plan accordingly.
· Invited panel/paper sessions: These are the standard interest division sponsored convention format sessions with a moderator, 3-4 presenters and, if possible, a respondent.
· Showcases: These sessions highlight student work in which faculty have been involved. Showcases are to be more “show” than “tell” and require preparation of audio-visual material before coming to convention. (These sessions are sponsored by Interest Divisions.)
· Technical Demonstrations of hardware or software: An equipment or software manufacturer/vendor brings in the latest communication technology to demonstrate. Often, faculty who have worked with the technology to talk about their experiences with the equipment/software in the classroom or lab.
· Workshops involving intensive training and professional development.
· Other ideas? Contact us if you have other alternative innovative ideas for program sessions, such as off-site tours or technical training at Help@beaweb.org and we would be happy to talk about them.
The BEA2018 Convention Spotlight is….. Inclusive Media
Today’s media is being challenged by a changing workforce and audience. The audience is searching for and watching media that reflects them and their experience. On the other side of the camera, the industry has been slow to include the wide variety of voices and skilled professionals who can allow the industry to better move forward to serve the changing audience. This is the challenge of inclusive media – leveraging the multiple backgrounds, perspectives and ideas of storytellers to create engaging media for a diverse audience.
Inclusive Media serves as a spotlight for the convention, but program proposals are not limited to this area of research and presentation. All sessions must adhere to the goals and objectives of the interest division(s) to which they are submitted (descriptions are listed on the submission site).
Proposals & Programming
BEA’s Interest Divisions significantly shape the convention program. Interest Division leaders review, evaluate and rank the proposals and forward the recommendations to the 2018 Convention Program Chair, Jennifer Meadows. Jennifer can be contacted at JMeadows@csuchico.edu.
Every effort will be made to give each division several invited panel sessions, a competitive paper session and a division meeting. Program slots are competitive so if information is not provided in a complete and timely manner, those program slots may be assigned to other session proposals. Priority will be given to panels sponsored by more than one division.
Co-sponsored proposals are encouraged. Co-sponsorship occurs when more than one division recommends a specific panel for inclusion in the program. No more than two (2) Interest Divisions will be listed for co-sponsorship on a particular session. Panel producers must indicate each division being proposed as a co-sponsor on the “Review your submission information” page. Go to the bottom of the page and click on the green link that says “Add a co-Sponsor.”
BEA’s Panel Participation Policy
To encourage diversified panel participation, it is BEA policy that a person is limited in the number of appearances he/she may make during the convention.
1. An individual may have only ONE appearance as a panelist during the convention.
2. A person may have ONE ADDITIONAL appearance as a panel moderator or respondent.
3. A person may have unlimited appearances as a presenter of competitive papers, productions or other competitive sessions.
To maximize opportunities for diverse participation, session organizers should seek:
– Participants representing a mix of genders, ethnicity, institutional affiliations, and nationalities
– Participants new to BEA and the convention as well as professionals in the industry
Division Chairs are to evaluate the eligibility of the participants in those proposals submitted to that division. The Program Chair shall determine participant eligibility across divisions once the proposals are submitted.
Panel/program participants MUST register for the convention. If you are a session organizer and/or moderator, please encourage panelists to register. BEA’s registration site opens in early December. If you have questions regarding the submission process, please email the appropriate Interest Division chair.
Seeking Panels or Panelists Boards
BEA members have a variety of research and professional interests and expertise – and don’t always have the contacts needed to fill a panel, or don’t know who to talk to offer themselves as a panelist. We encourage members to reach out and make new contacts for this year’s annual convention. Please note, the “Panelist Seeking Panels” and “Panels Seeking Panelists” boards have been created in Facebook. Please join the “BEA2018 Seeking Panels & Panelists Board” and post your panel idea to entice panelists or offer your area of expertise to a panel organizer.
Session Audio/Visual Capabilities
Take note that session rooms will have internet availability, projectors and screens and will NOT have DVD and/or VHS players. If you plan to play a DVD, please bring your laptop. Please let us know by January 31 if you have any special AV requests.
COMPLETED Program Proposal Submissions must be submitted online through BEA’s submission site by 3:00 a.m. ET on September 16, 2017.
Questions? Visit www.beaweb.org or email Help@BEAweb.org.