The School of Creativity + Practice (SoCaP) at Colorado State University Pueblo exists to enrich the lives of our students and the community through exposure to creative industries across multiple disciplines in an environment of integrated studies. We recognize that creative industry careers involve a variety of skills that extend beyond any one discipline and so the Departments of Art & Creative Media, Music, and Media & Entertainment have come together to form the School of Creativity + Practice. Students experience the academic rigor of their chosen pathway, earning degrees from their home departments while gaining valuable exposure to the integrated structure of creative industries.
SoCaP is a place where collaboration and creativity meet intensive study and individual emphasis. We empower our students to move beyond the classroom and studio toward professional exhibitions, collaborative performances and dynamic presentations. Developing students into a community of highly skilled creative professionals is our mission, our vision and our passion.
Preparing each student to be a viable candidate in a competitive marketplace while empowering them to become a positive influence on our community are at the center of all SoCaP programming. As a School, we progressively explore ways of achieving a sustainable balance of integrated study, industry innovation and academic rigor in our curriculum. This means we are actively responsive to shifting creative markets while remaining steadfast in our commitment to excellence in education.Description of Job
The School of Creativity + Practice at Colorado State University Pueblo (CSUP) invites applications for a nine-month associate/assistant tenure-track or titled faculty position (non tenure-track) in the area of interactive/immersive art and media to commence in August 2022 or January 2023. Final rank and terms of faculty employment to be determined based on experience and qualifications.
We are seeking a new colleague to join us in exploring and further developing a joint degree program for a Bachelor of Fine Arts – Gaming & Immersive Media within the School of Creativity + Practice. An ideal candidate will be excited to collaborate with SoCaP faculty in an integrated creative environment while building and expanding gaming & immersive media and other innovative academic programing.
The faculty member will: teach topics that include but are not limited to 3D digital art/modeling, animation, visual effects, immersive media, AR/VR/XR, virtual world design, virtual production, game development, and programing & design within the School of Creativity + Practice (SoCaP); contribute to student success through advising, supporting and mentoring undergraduate majors and BFA students; collaborate with SoCaP development teams to further implement innovative academic programs and promote university service and community engagement. Applicants must be committed to all aspects of diversity in learning, discovery, and engagement and to contributing to the success of SoCaP programing through frequent positive collaboration with faculty colleagues, service to industry and/or profession, and dissemination of scholarly works.
Teaching / Librarianship:
Serves one or more of the SoCaP departments through excellence in teaching, and provides leadership in the development of integrated studies among all three SoCaP departments (Art & Creative Media, Media & Entertainment, and Music).
Scholarly & Creative Activities:
For tenure-track, maintains a developing record of scholarship commensurate with the level of rank, and a clear indication of the potential to achieve nationally and internationally recognized standards of excellence.
Includes but is not limited to:
- Contributes to student success through advising, support and mentoring undergraduate majors and BFA students. Schedules office hours to meet advising responsibilities and encourage improved student performance in classes. Assists students in setting academic goals, maintaining a record of advisement, and provides referrals to appropriate student services.
- Attends and takes part in meetings of the associated departments, school, college, and university. Serves if elected or appointed with their consent to University boards or estate committees. Facilitates academic community cooperation. Attends campus meetings and University functions including Commencement.
- Actively engages in curriculum development and revision and the recruitment of prospective students.
All responsibilities of faculty members at CSU-Pueblo are in accordance with the Faculty Handbook. The Faculty Handbook is the authoritative guide on specific requirements with regard to teaching assignments, scholarly activity, research, and service
Minimum Qualifications, Substitutions, Conditions of Employment & Appeal Rights
- Bachelor’s degree in related field plus either:
a minimum of 3 years of relevant and qualified experience
Master’s degree in unrelated field with 18 completed graduate hours in related field for titled faculty position
- For a tenure-track faculty position, a master’s or terminal degree in a related field is required
- Digital portfolio demonstrating candidate’s ideation and execution abilities in one or more of the following: 3D digital art/modeling, animation, immersive/interactive media, VR/AR/XR, game design
- Published and/or exhibited works relevant to 3D/immersive/gaming (one or more)
- Thorough understanding of industry standard design principles and processes
- Demonstrated ability to relate to diverse populations and learners
- Demonstrated experience with at least one 3D/animation soft-ware and/or game engine soft-ware such as Maya, Blender, 3ds Max, Cinema 4D, Unity, Unreal, etc.
- Effective teaching or instructional experience
- Master’s or terminal degree in related field
- Digital portfolio demonstrating 5-10 samples of works by students candidate has instructed in one or more of the following: 3D digital art/modeling, animation, immersive/interactive media, VR/AR/XR, game design
- Proficiency with 3D/animation and game engine software/coding such as Maya, Blender, 3ds Max, Unity, Unreal, C#, C++, etc.
- Continuous record of published and/or exhibited credits across 3D/immersive/gaming content
- Strong creative sensibilities and a passion for creating gaming and immersive experiences
- Experience across all aspects of gaming or immersive experience development
- Experience building academic programs and recruiting students
Condition of Employment
Evidence of your being fully vaccinated for COVID-19, or applicable exemption, is required as a condition of employment with CSU Pueblo. Employment is contingent upon your submission of records showing full vaccination for COVID-19, or receiving the first dose of a two-dose vaccine—or a single dose vaccine—before your hire date and submitting evidence of a second dose (as necessary, based on vaccination type) within 30 calendar days of your hire date, or completion of an exemption before your hire date.
Information about medical and non-medical exemptions is available at https://www.csupueblo.edu/coronavirus/vaccinations/index.html. Those employees who qualify for an exemption may be required to follow additional public health requirements or precautions, such as isolation, quarantine, testing, or other measures, particularly if there is a COVID-19 outbreak, in accordance with the direction and guidance of public health officials and University and CSU System policy.Supplemental Information
All interested candidates must apply through the on-line application system. No other format of application materials will be accepted.
Applicants must attach the following documents, in order to be considered for this position:
- a letter of intent (cover letter);
- a current resume or CV;
- unofficial or official transcripts showing required degree conferred; and
- Link to portfolio of relevant professional works.
- All portfolios must be in electronic format. Physical portfolios will not be accepted.
- Portfolio or presentation showcasing 5-10 professional 3D/virtual/gaming/immersive media work (links to functioning games and/or relevant works preferred).
- Description of software and role in portfolio work (candidate’s work, work of candidate’s student, etc.).
- Samples of work by students candidate has instructed (to meet preferred qualification)
Additionally, applicants must include current contact information for three professional references, either to the online application or as an attachment.
Applications submitted without the required attachments/information above will be considered incomplete and will not move forward in the selection process. Once submitted, applicants will not be able to make changes or add information to their application packet, with the exception of their personal contact and demographic information.
Early submission of application materials is encouraged. Screening of application materials will begin immediately and continue until filled, but those applications received prior to 11:00 p.m. (MST) on Sunday, May 15th, 2022 will receive full consideration.
About Colorado State University Pueblo
Colorado State University Pueblo is a comprehensive state university with an enrollment of 4,000 students. CSU Pueblo provides relevant professional coursework and superior instruction with a small student-to-faculty ratio for an ever-changing global economy. Students can choose from 35 undergraduate programs with 81 fields of study in the College of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics; the Hasan School of Business; the College of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences; and the College of Health, Education, and Nursing; and 13 graduate programs.
CSU Pueblo is dedicated to interdisciplinary learning and entrepreneurship that elevates our people and our community, creates educational opportunities, fosters unique collaborations, and supports inclusion, access, and affordability as a gateway to the world. CSU Pueblo is equally committed to serving the diverse population of the region; this emphasis is reflected in the demographic characteristics of the student body. Because more than 25 percent of our students are Hispanic, the Federal Government has designated CSU Pueblo a Hispanic Serving Institution. Besides reflecting our commitment to serve this critically important and rapidly growing segment of the student population, that designation also allows the University to compete for certain federal grant funds to support its ability to better serve all students.
Among its unique features, CSU Pueblo is one of seven schools in the nation to offer a degree in mechatronics, which combines electrical and mechanical engineering. The Hasan School of Business ranks among the top 15 percent of all business schools internationally with graduate and undergraduate programs in business administration accredited by the AACSB International Board of Directors. The College of STEM houses an undergraduate engineering program that was ranked in the nation’s top 100 by U.S. News and World Report. CSU Pueblo has an ever-changing campus landscape that features a newly renovated Library, a new general academic classroom building, and a newly renovated and expanded student center.
At CSU Pueblo, Student Life offerings have increased significantly with the transition of the campus from a commuter environment to a more traditional collegiate experience. Competing at the NCAA Division II level, CSU Pueblo is a member of the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference and offers 22 varsity intercollegiate sports and also has active intramural and club sports teams that allow students to get involved in campus life.
Colorado State University Pueblo offers a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical Insurance and Prescription Drugs
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Flexible Benefit Plan
- Basic Term Life Insurance
- Voluntary Term Life and AD&D Insurance
- Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Employee Assistance Plan (EAP)
- Travel Accident Insurance
- Voluntary Critical Illness and Accident Insurance
- Wellness Incentive Program
- Annual & Sick Leave
- Retirement Plans
About Pueblo, Colorado
The city of Pueblo is a historically and culturally rich, diverse city of more than 100,000, located in the southern part of the state along the Arkansas River near the Wet Mountains and the majestic Sangre de Cristo range. Pueblo enjoys ideal year-round climate with four distinct mild seasons, crisp mountain air and 300+ days of sunshine per year. Pueblo attracts outdoor enthusiasts to a full slate of summer and winter recreational activities, encompassing water sports at Lake Pueblo, biking or running along Pueblo’s beautiful river trail system, golfing, tennis, hiking or skiing in the mountains to the west. The region is heavily agricultural, with large and small-scale farming and ranching, and a diverse mix of service, manufacturing, and technology industries.
CSU Pueblo is committed to providing a safe and productive learning and living community. To achieve that goal, we conduct background investigations for all final candidates being considered for employment. Background checks may include, but are not limited to, criminal history (felony and misdemeanor), national sex offender search, and/or motor vehicle history. Candidates who are extended an offer of employment must submit to and pass a background check prior to beginning employment. Some positions depending on the job duties may be required to complete a DMV and/or credit check.
The University reserves the right to check additional references, with prior notification given to the candidate.
Note: The successful candidate must provide official transcripts of academic work completed and, under U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services regulations, be able to submit evidence of the ability to accept work in the U.S. by the day employment begins.
It is the policy of Colorado State University Pueblo to provide reasonable accommodations for employees and applicants with disabilities. If you need accommodations, please contact the Office of Human Resources& Institutional Equity at (719) 549-2441 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
In compliance with the Clery Act of 1990, the University’s annual security report is available at: https://www.csupueblo.edu/campus-safety.
Colorado State University Pueblo is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or veteran status. Additionally, the University complies with all other relevant, federal, state, and local laws regarding employment practices.