It’s fun to work in a company where people truly believe in what they are doing!
WKBN 27 First News is looking for a passionate, capital “J” journalist to join two established male anchors on our #1 rated evening and late newscasts.
Some previous work on the anchor desk is absolutely necessary, but this is a great opportunity for a reporter in a larger market, or a smaller market anchor/reporter, to get primary anchor experience. Our anchors are working journalists. The successful candidate should be prepared to take an active role in newsgathering every day, across all screens and platforms. That includes going out to shoot stories as an MMJ. This anchor must be active on web, social media and will volunteer in the community.
We are a viewer advocacy brand of journalism in Youngstown, Ohio. That means our work must serve our viewers, and the communities in which we live. Our anchors must demonstrate an understanding of the challenges, the heartaches, the injustices, and the successes, that people in our audience face every day.
We cover big city news in a small market. Take a look at the stories we’ve covered in the past few months online. We are a battleground market in a battleground state this upcoming election year.
This is an operation that believes in local news. We broadcast 64 hours of live news every week. We’ve won 2 Emmy®s, an AP and a Murrow award for WKBN’s evening newscasts. We just rebuilt WKBN’s studio. We have the tools to win.
You get to live in a community with great food, great people and one of the largest city parks in the country. If you like to get outdoors before work, check out Mill Creek Metroparks. Youngstown is also midway between Pittsburgh and Cleveland, with an extremely affordable cost of living. You can be at a Browns or Steelers game in an hour. We’re neighbors to some of the best wineries in the Great Lakes region.
Make sure you include a link to your reel when you apply and send us a note or cover letter explaining how you fit the skillset we are looking for.
JOB SUMMARY: Deliver newscasts and news stories accurately, clearly and concisely and in an engaging manner.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
• Evaluate news leads and tips to develop story ideas. Gather and verify accurate information regarding articles through interviews, remark as well as research.
• Build network of sources who supply information that allows the Company to stay ahead of its competitors.
• Present compelling, clear, creative and accurate live shots.
• Organize material and write articles based on the details and information obtained.
• Use various social platforms to give updates as well as news stories to the public.
• Solid vocal delivery, camera presence, and clear enunciation.
• Strong reporting skills.
• Understand importance of social media.
• Excellent reading, writing, spelling, grammar and organizational skills.
• Promotes teamwork and maintains attitude of cooperation with all station personnel.
Education/Experience: Bachelor’s degree in Communication/Journalism or related degree required (equivalent years of experience may substitute for education); plus (3) years television anchoring or reporting experience required.
Training/Equipment: Operate newsroom computer systems.
Work Environment/Physical Requirements: High stress environment with deadline pressures. Some travel will be required. Position requires work on weekends and holidays.
NOTE: This job description contains the basic requirements for the position and is NOT intended to be a complete list of responsibilities; other duties may be assigned.
If you like wild growth and working with happy, enthusiastic over-achievers, you’ll enjoy your career with us!
Apply online at http://www.wkbn.com/about-us/w