San Francisco State University
Department of Broadcast and Electronic Communication Arts
Tenure-Track Assistant Professor, Video Production
The Department of Broadcast and Electronic Communication Arts (BECA) at San Francisco
State University is offering an exciting opportunity for a tenure-track Assistant Professor
position in Video Production beginning August 2020. We seek a colleague whose teaching and research interests complement our curriculum and who can also create new courses on media-related topics with a video production focus. We are especially interested in candidates who will contribute to the diversity of our department and academic community through excellence in teaching, service, and research.
The Emmy® Award winning Department of Broadcast and Electronic Communication Arts is an inclusive learning environment that promotes creativity and scholarship in multiple forms of media, mirroring the wide range of cultural, artistic, and scholarly interests in the San Francisco Bay Area. Students enjoy cutting-edge training and education in media theory, criticism, writing, content creation, and production. We pride ourselves on offering a curriculum that balances theory and practice.
The mission of San Francisco State University is to create and maintain an environment for learning that promotes respect for and appreciation of scholarship, freedom, human diversity, and the cultural mosaic of the City of San Francisco and the Bay Area; to promote excellence in instruction and intellectual accomplishment; and to provide broadly accessible higher education for residents of the region and state, as well as the nation and world. To fulfill its mission, the University is committed to the following goals:
• Attracting, retaining, and graduating a highly diverse student body.
• Providing disciplinary and interdisciplinary liberal arts and professional education that is
academically rigorous and intellectually challenging.
• Providing curricula that reflect all dimensions of human diversity, and that encourage
critical thinking and a commitment to social justice.
• Recruiting, retaining, and supporting a diverse faculty whose teaching demonstrates an active engagement with their individual fields of study and whose creative and scholarly work is an extension of the classroom, laboratory or studio.
• Employing a staff and administration reflecting the diversity of our student community and the values of the campus;
• Fostering a collegial and cooperative intellectual environment that includes recognition
and appreciation of differing viewpoints and promotes academic freedom within the University community; and
• Serving the communities with which its students and faculty are engaged.
Responsibilities: We seek a colleague who will demonstrate innovation and excellence in studio and field video production, and who can teach courses in preproduction, production, and postproduction. They should also have experience in emerging formats such as 360. There will be opportunities to teach at the graduate level. The position requires mentoring and advising of undergraduate and graduate students, ongoing committee and service assignments, and actively engaging in ongoing creative work and scholarship in one’s area of specialty. Detailed position description is available at www.beca.sfsu.edu
• Ph.D., M.F.A., or other appropriate terminal degree in Media Arts, Communications, or related discipline. M.A. with a minimum of five years of professional industry experience will be considered. All degree requirements must be completed by August 1, 2020;
• Record of teaching contributions in the areas of Video Production or related areas;
• Record of working and communicating effectively with colleagues and students
• Professional media industry experience;
• Active record of creative work and/or scholarship;
• Proficiency with Adobe Premier and/or other professional video editing software;
• Experience teaching and working closely with students from historically underrepresented communities and first-generation college students;
• Demonstrated ability to incorporate inclusion, diversity, and educational equity in
teaching and scholarship;
• Experience producing Spanish-language content
Rank and Salary: Assistant Professor. Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.
The California State University (CSU) provides generous health, retirement and other benefits.
Application: Application: Submit letter of intent/interest, a current CV, a statement on how your teaching and creative work align with the commitment of the Department of Broadcast and Electronic Communication Arts to foster an inclusive and diverse academic community, transcript of graduate courses, samples or links to recent creative work, teaching philosophy, names and contact information for three references. Priority consideration will be given to applications received by 10/14/2019. Applications will continue to be reviewed until the position is filled.
Dr. Christopher Clemens
Search Committee Chair