Associate Professor or Full Professor
Department Chair and Founder of New Department
The College of Media & Communication at Texas Tech University is seeking a visionary academic leader to help establish a new academic department, grow a new undergraduate degree program, and mentor a team of faculty dedicated to excellence in teaching, service and research to the disciplines and industries of professional communication. This new department – projected to be titled the Department of Professional Communication – will serve as the academic home to the new B.A. degree in Digital Media & Professional Communication which will be available on-campus and at Texas Tech University’s regional sites.
The College is seeking a colleague with a demonstrated record of academic leadership in the areas of media and professional communication and distance education, as well as a national reputation in teaching, research, and service. This is a full-time tenured position at the rank of associate or full professor status. In addition to administrative duties, the chair will teach a 1:1 load. Anticipated start date is fall 2018 or spring 2019.
The successful candidate will:
• Be a visionary leader who understands the dynamic and evolving changes in media and communication industries and education
• Recruit, retain, and mentor a high-achieving diverse faculty teaching undergraduate and graduate courses in digital media and professional communication
• Plan, develop, assess and schedule online, hybrid, and face-to-face curriculum for multiple campuses
• Foster interdisciplinary partnerships internal and external to the College; in particular, work closely with the Rawls College of Business Administration at Texas Tech University on joint programs
• Demonstrate success in developing outreach to local, regional, national and international employers
• Be willing to travel regionally to develop off-site programs
• Exhibit a commitment to undergraduate education
• Ph.D. or Ed.D. in academic discipline related to communication
• At least three years of higher education administrative experience
• Experience in distance or online education
• Credentials that merit appointment at the rank of associate or full professor with tenure
• Have an active research program in a related area
• Established record of advancing diversity
• A demonstrated and ongoing commitment to serving diverse student populations
• Experience in higher education budgeting
• Professional experience in a related area
• Successful guidance in tenure and promotion cases
• Experience acquiring or pursuing external funding
• Experience supporting successful donor and alumni relations
• Experience working with diverse student populations and first-generation students is highly desirable
COLLEGE OF MEDIA & COMMUNICATION:
The College of Media & Communication (http://www.depts.ttu.edu/
TEXAS TECH UNIVERSITY:
Texas Tech University is a public national research university with an enrollment of approximately 37,000 students. It offers over 100 undergraduate majors and more than 100 masters and 50 doctoral degree programs. Texas Tech is the largest comprehensive higher education institution in the western two-thirds of Texas and is the state’s only campus with an adjoining research university, law school, and medical school. Texas Tech students come from almost every county in Texas, all 50 states and more than 100 different countries. The university recently surpassed the Hispanic student population threshold necessary for designation as a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and Texas Tech’s current Quality Enhancement Plan is “Bear Our Banners Far and Wide: Communication in a Global Society.” (www.depts.ttu.edu/
Review of applications will begin on March 25, 2018 and will continue until the position is filled. Applicants should apply on line at www.texastech.edu/careers, referencing the Requisition Number 13363BR. Candidates will be asked to provide a letter of application describing their research interests, teaching experience, professional experiences, and why they are interested in creating and growing a new academic department, a current curriculum vita, graduate transcripts, and a list of three references with names, addresses, email addresses and phone numbers. The search committee chair is Dr. Erik Bucy, Marshall and Sharleen Formby Regents Professor of Strategic Communication. Questions may be addressed to him at email@example.com or +1 (806) 834-3346.
As an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, Texas Tech University is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse faculty committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment. We actively encourage applications from all those who can contribute, through their research, teaching, and/or service, to the diversity and excellence of the academic community at Texas Tech University. The university does not discriminate on the basis of an applicant’s race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information or status as a protected veteran. Texas Tech welcomes consideration of dual career and professional couple accommodations.
Please visit the college’s website for more information at www.depts.ttu.edu/comc