Dean, School of Journalism & Graphic Communication
Deadline: April 20, 2018
Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University (FAMU), the No.1 public university among historically Black colleges and universities, invites applications for the position of Dean of the School of Journalism & Graphic Communication (SJGC). This is an exceptional opportunity for a visionary leader who has an appreciation for the University’s mission and purpose and who can effectively represent the scope of journalism and graphic communication to both internal and external stakeholders.
FAMU, one of 12 state-supported universities in Florida, is governed by a 13-member Board of Trustees, which is governed by the Florida Board of Governors. Established by the Legislature in 1887, in the capital city of Tallahassee, FAMU remains an 1890 land-grant, doctoral research university. With enrollment of nearly 10,000 students, FAMU employs more than 700 faculty members among its 14 colleges and schools. The University has been a historic leader in recruiting National Achievement Scholars and has been No.1 in the production of African American baccalaureate graduates. In addition to 54 baccalaureate programs, FAMU offers 29 master’s level programs and three professional programs which include the Juris Doctor in the College of Law, the Doctor of Public Health, and 11 Doctor of Philosophy programs.
Since its founding in 1982, the School of Journalism & Graphic Communication has been recognized as the first accredited program of its kind among the nation’s historically Black colleges and universities. SJGC is composed of two divisions: journalism and graphic communication. The Division of Journalism offers instruction in digital broadcast, print journalism, and public relations, while the Division of Graphic Communication offers instruction in graphic design. Students of SJGC showcase their talents and gain experience on campus through student ran media, such as the award-winning FAMUAN student newspaper, FAMU-TV 20 campus television channel, Journey magazine, and the WANM-FM campus radio station.
The successful candidate for the Dean of SJGC position will possess:
- A terminal degree, Master of Fine Arts or Juris Doctor from an accredited university. Applicants should qualify for tenure at the rank of full professor in the SJGC based on approved SJGC and FAMU criteria;
- A master’s degree and a minimum of 18 graduate hours in journalism, public relations, mass communication or graphic communication and 10 years of professional experience with a regional, national or international reputation;
- A proven fundraising track record and knowledge of public and private funding opportunities and trends, national and international research organizations, faculty fellowship programs, institutional partnerships and research collaborations;
- A demonstrated ability to build consensus around a strategic vision, and implement policies and initiatives to achieve that vision with a commitment to continued development of the University as a research-intensive institution;
- A demonstrated ability to communicate effectively to diverse internal and external constituencies, and to collaborate across a wide range of academic disciplines and organizations;
- Experience managing data and systems and the ability to embrace and utilize emerging technologies;
- Knowledge of student media administration and an array of other media; and
- Experience with the accreditation process and the ability to maintain accreditation for all relevant programs in the school.
How to apply: Applications and nominations are now being accepted. For best consideration, please submit application materials prior to March 20, 2018. Greenwood/Asher & Associates, Inc. is assisting Florida A&M University in this search. Initial screening of the applications and nominations will continue until an appointment is made. Individuals who wish to nominate a candidate should submit a letter of nomination including contact information for the nominee. Application materials should include a letter of interest that clearly states the applicant’s qualifications for the position, a current curriculum vita, and the name, address, telephone number and email address of three professional references. Submission of materials as PDF attachments is strongly encouraged.
Inquiries, nominations, and application materials should be directed to:
Jan Greenwood or Betty Turner Asher, Partners
Marion Frenche, Principal & Practice Leader, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Alex Matthews, Executive Search Consultant
Greenwood/Asher & Associates, Inc.
42 Business Centre Drive, Suite 206
Miramar Beach, Florida 32550
Phone: 850-650-2277 / Fax: 850-650-2272
Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University is an equal opportunity/equal access University. Successful candidate is subject to a pre-employment screening which includes a review of criminal records, reference checks and verification of education. If an accommodation due to a disability is needed to apply for this position, please call (850) 599-3076.
This search is being conducted under Florida law, including the Sunshine law and public records law.