WKBN 27 First News in Youngstown, Ohio is looking for a capital “J” Journalist to lead the market’s #1 rated weekend morning newscast, covering big city news in a small market. This is NOT a job for a beginner. Just check out our website to see the political scandals, crimes and investigative stories we cover.
This position will co-produce and anchor a weekend morning newscast that launched just two years ago and rocketed to ratings dominance. This is a chance to strengthen anchoring and reporting skills with great tools in a serious news station that plays bigger than its market size. WKBN offers a state-of-the-art virtual reality set to showcase our investigative, in-depth local news brand.
The other 3 days a week, this job will create live and pre-recorded stories for 3 network affiliates and a fast-growing digital news source operating out of multiple studios in our building. VJs are expected to shoot, edit, write, and produce. We believe in live coverage and expect live shots on every shift.
You’ll also get to live in a community with great food, great people and one of the largest city parks in the country. If you like to get outdoors after work, check out Mill Creek Metroparks. Youngstown is also midway between Pittsburgh and Cleveland. You can be at a Browns or Steelers game in an hour. We’re neighbors to some of the best wineries in the Great Lakes region.
The successful candidate will have a track record of working efficiently, multi-tasking and trouble-shooting in order to successfully meet challenging deadlines. You will excel at enterprising story ideas, developing sources and working a specific beat.
Please be sure to include a link to your work in your resume.
JOB SUMMARY: Deliver newscasts accurately, clearly and concisely and in an engaging manner.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
• Evaluate news leads and tips to develop story ideas. Gather and verify accurate information regarding articles through interviews, remark as well as research.
• Build network of sources who supply information that allows the Company to stay ahead of its competitors.
• Present compelling, clear, creative and accurate live shots.
• Organize material and write articles based on the details and information obtained.
• Use various social platforms to give updates as well as news stories to the public.
• Solid vocal delivery, camera presence, and clear enunciation.
• Strong reporting skills.
• Understand importance of social media.
• Excellent reading, writing, spelling, grammar and organizational skills.
• Promotes teamwork and maintains attitude of cooperation with all station personnel.
Education/Experience: Bachelor’s degree in Communication/Journalism or related degree required (equivalent years of experience may substitute for education); plus (3) years television anchoring or reporting experience required.
Training/Equipment: Operate newsroom computer systems.
Work Environment/Physical Requirements: High stress environment with deadline pressures. Some travel will be required. Position requires work on weekends and holidays.
NOTE: This job description contains the basic requirements for the position and is NOT intended to be a complete list of responsibilities; other duties may be assigned.
Apply online at http://wkbn.com/more/jobs/