California State University, Fresno
College of Arts and Humanities
Media, Communication and Journalism
Vacancy # 13352
Media Arts and Digital Cinema
California State University, Fresno is an engaged University. We focus on broadening students intellectual horizons, fostering lifelong learning skills, developing the leaders of tomorrow, promoting community involvement, and instilling an appreciation of world cultures. We nurture cultural competence by celebrating the rich diversity of the campus community and welcoming the participation of all. Members of the University community are expected to work effectively with faculty, staff and students from diverse ethnic, cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds. For information on the Universitys commitment and dedication to creating a university known for its integrity, civility, equity, respect and ethical behavior, please visit: http://www.fresnostate.edu/
• Available for Academic Year: 2018/2019.
• Fresno State has been recognized as a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI); an Asian American/Native American/Pacific Islander-Serving Institution (AANAPISI); and has been designated to the Community Engagement Classification by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching.
• Faculty members gain a clear path to tenure through the Universitys Probationary Plan Process.
• Salary placement depends upon academic preparation and professional experience.
• California State University, Fresno is a vibrant and growing campus. When necessary, the University may decide to make more than one faculty appointment from a single search.
The Department of Art and Design and Department of Media, Communications and Journalism in the College of Arts and Humanities at California State University, Fresno seek applicants for a tenure-track, academic year position as an Assistant Professor in Media Arts and Digital Cinema. This tenure-track faculty position is a joint appointment with the Department of Art and Design and the Department of Media, Communications and Journalism. The successful candidate will teach undergraduate students in courses offered by both departments, conduct scholarly research and/or produce creative scholarly works, engage in service-related activities, and advise the Interdisciplinary Media Arts Minor offered by the College. Primary teaching responsibilities will include film theory, narrative film production, and film as an art form.
The Department of Art and Design and the Department of Media, Communication and Journalism are part of the College of Arts and Humanities, the largest college at California State University, Fresno. The Department of Art and Design offers undergraduate degrees in Art, Graphic Design and Interior Design. The Department of Media, Communication and Journalism offers degrees in Broadcast/Print Journalism, Public Relations/Advertising and Multimedia Production. The Assistant Professor of Media Arts and Digital Cinema will teach courses within the Art and Multimedia Production degree areas. Course areas may include narrative/non-narrative filmmaking, screenwriting, writing for media, visual culture, video art, and film theory. Course assignments will be coordinated with the chairs of both departments.
The tenure process at California State University, Fresno provides clear direction and guidance throughout the tenure and retention process. The successful candidate’s home department will be determined by the person’s main field, but both departments will be involved in the successful candidate’s retention, tenure, and promotion process. The guiding document is the probationary plan that provides the explicit requirements and standards to be met by tenure-track faculty. The plan is developed by the faculty member and their department. The final approved probationary plan will be reviewed and approved by the department, the college, the dean, and the provost. During the probationary period, each of these levels of the University will also review the Working Personnel Action File (WPAF) and provide assessment and guidance regarding progress toward completion of tenure requirements. For this joint appointment a personnel committee with members from both departments will review the probationary plan and subsequent WPAF reports. At the department chair level, both chairs will jointly review the probationary plan and subsequent WPAF reports.
Required Education: An earned MFA or Ph.D. in Media Arts, Filmmaking or related field. For appointment, the MFA or Ph.D. must be completed by the date of appointment (8/17/2018).
• Demonstrated pedagogical abilities and experience teaching at the university level, including ability to engage students in the development of critical thinking, as evidenced by the statement of teaching philosophy and teaching record.
• Evidence of significant and relevant research or creative scholarship, as demonstrated by professional and creative work accepted by film festivals and broadcast or distributed through traditional and innovative media distribution platforms. Additional scholarship may be evidenced through professional paper presentations and/or peer reviewed publications/material accepted for publication.
• Demonstrated advanced academic understanding of film theory and criticism.
• Demonstrated record of commitment to working effectively with students, faculty and staff from diverse ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds. California State University, Fresno is committed to promoting the success of all, and to reducing the barriers to success related to differences in areas such as race, ethnicity, culture, disability, and more. Candidates who can contribute to that goal are encouraged to apply and identify their strengths and experiences in this area. For additional information on the Universitys commitment to diversity visit: www.fresnostate.edu/academics/
• Experience developing and writing narrative films.
• Professional experience with digital cinema equipment such as: camera, lighting and audio equipment; and digital editing, graphics and motion effects.
• Proven ability to engage with the community through media arts/digital cinema.
Application Procedures: Review of applications will begin November 20, 2017 and continue until the position is filled. To apply, applicants must complete an online application at http://apptrkr.com/1105397 and attach the following: 1) a cover letter specifically addressing required experience and preferred qualifications; 2) a curriculum vitae, and 3) list of three professional references.
Finalists will be required to submit 1) three current letters of recommendation, 2) official transcripts and 3) links to examples of creative works.
Please address all correspondence to:
Candace Egan, Search Committee Chair
Department of Media, Communications and Journalism, California State University, Fresno
2225 E San Ramon Ave. M/S MF 10, Fresno, CA 93740
Other: In compliance with the Annual Security Report & Fire Safety Report of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, California State University, Fresno has made crime-reporting statistics available to applicants, students, and employees on-line at http://www.fresnostate.edu/
A background check (including criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily for this position. An offer of employment may be withdrawn or employment may be terminated based upon the results of the background investigation.
The person holding this position is considered a “mandated reporter” under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment. You can obtain a copy of this Executive order by accessing the following web site: http://www.calstate.edu/eo/EO-
California State University, Fresno is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status.